What is Take Control & Save?
Take control & Save (TC&S), is an energy efficiency initiative designed to raise energy awareness and lower energy bills. TC&S features a number of programs that will help you make the most of the electricity you use.
As cooperative members, we will all carry the responsibility to make the best use of our energy resources. One of the most important things we can do is slow the growth in energy use. By using electricity wisely, we can optimize our generating capacity to postpone building costly new power plants. The good news is that everything you do to reduce your use not only helps us manage growth, it also helps you manage your energy budget. For more energy efficiency ideas and information, please visit www.takecontrolandsave.coop.
Before purchasing any appliances or a ground source heat pump system, please contact BREC for program rules and requirements to make sure your purchase will qualify for a TC&S rebate.
BREC members can receive rebates by replacing any of the existing appliances listed below, with new ENERGY STAR models. Rebates are not brand specific, but appliances (except water heaters) must be ENERGY STAR certified.
- $50 Electric Water Heater (Efficiency Rating of .90 or higher) (click here for this rebate form)
- $100 Replacement of Gas Water Heater with a qualifying electric water heater or new installation of a qualifying electric water heater (click here for this rebate)
- $50 ENERGY STAR Room Air Conditioner (click here for this rebate form)
*All appliance rebates require an active BREC membership, a completed Take Control & Save rebate form and a copy of the purchase receipt. Rebates are available for replacement appliances only, new construction/new installations are not eligible. Please call 1-800-392-4711 with any questions.
Ground Source Heat Pump Marketing Program
Ground Source Heat Pumps are the most efficient heating and cooling systems on the market today. They provide year-round comfort and the lowest operating costs available.
BREC members who install a qualifying ground source heat pump (GSHP) can receive a $750 per ton rebate for new construction or retrofit of any other type of heating and cooling system. A $400 per ton rebate is available to members who are replacing an existing GSHP.
To make sure you qualify, please contact BREC to receive a rebate form BEFORE purchasing or installing GSHP equipment.
Click here for the Ground Source Heat Pump form.
GSHP rebates require the following*:
- An active BREC membership,
- A completed Take Control & Save rebate form and a copy of the purchase/installation receipt.
- A Manual J load calculation based on a 70 degree temperature difference. (Installed capacity must match heating load requirements determined by the Manual J load calculation.)
- Installed equipment must have an Energy Efficiency Rating (E.E.R.) of 19.1 or higher.
- Emergency resistance heat is allowed as long as it does not operate automatically.
*Other rules and requirements may apply, please contact BREC for information before purchasing any GSHP equipment.